Monday, August 10, 2009

Greasy Food and Salty Air


I was told I arrived in Hong Kong during the hottest time of the year, but I think it'd be more accurate to say the "hotter" time of the year. The Hong Kong summer is comparative to being in a steam bath, but without a door out.
I spent my first week here looking for apartments, getting used to public transportation and hopping to and from every air-conditioned shop in Kowloon.
It poured yesterday. Apparently the two typhoons in Asia are the cause for the thunder storms here. The rain was so severe, Tsz-Fung and I took shelter in a Hong Kong style restaurant. The selection-rich menus are overwhelming. I can imagine the menus are cause for much frustration with Japanese tourists. Yesterday we ordered "suburban oil vegetables", whatever it was it was great! Tsz-Fung explained that give the cook the general idea of what you want to eat, like beef and thin noodles, and he'll make you something for about 13HKD(1.70 USD). I have yet to find a food I disliked here, although I can say I didn't care too much for the texture of the pig blood and leek dish...
Well, it's 1400 and I have to wake up Tsz-Fung and begin the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment